Wednesday, June 24, 2009

BIG SAVINGS!!

I just can't get enough of saving money where ever I go. I love coupons and great deals. I wanted to share with everyone a recipe for homemade laundry detergent. I got it from my youngest sisters in-law's. It is so simple and cheap!! I have been using it for a month weeks now and it works great. My youngest, Jackson has eczema very badly. I would have to buy the Free and Clear laundry detergents for him, which is very expensive. When I heard about this my first question was "Is it good for sensitive skin & eczema"? In the summer his eczema gets pretty bad, I haven't seen it get worse. I have no complaints. It cost around $2.00 for a 5 gallon of homemade liquid laundry detergent. WHAT A DEAL!! I also use homemade dishwasher soap that I found online. It has been working pretty good.

Homemade Liquid Laundry Soap

4 cups Hot Tap Water
1 Fels- Naptha Soap Bar (at Maceys or Smiths)
1 cup Arm-and-Hammer Laundry Soda (at Walmart or Smiths)
1/2 cup Borax (at Walmart)

Grate bar of soap and add to saucepan with the water. Stir continually over medium-low heat until soap dissolves and is melted.

Fill a five-gallon bucket half full of very hot tap water. Add melted soda, laundry soda and Borax. Stir well until all powder is dissolved. Fill bucket to top with more hot water. Stir, cover and let sit overnight to thicken.

You can add 10-15 drops of essential oil per two gallons. Add once soap has cooled.

Top loading machine: 5/8 cup per load
Front loading machine: 1/4 cup per load (approx. 400 loads)
(You can add 5 more gallons of water to do 10 gallons, not as concentrated)


Powdered Laundry Detergent

1 Fels-Naptha Soap Bar
1 cup Washing Soda
1/2 cup Borax

Grate soap or break into pieces and process in a food processor until powdered. Mix all ingredients. For light load, use on tablespoon. For heavey or heavily soiled load, use 2 tablespoons. Yields: 3 cups detergent (approximately 40 loads)


Option: You can change the measurements of soda or borax to your liking.



Inexpensive Fabric Softener Recipes

Recipe 1: Add one cup white vinegar to rinse cycle. Works great. Removes residue and odors. Also helps to keep washing machine and hoses fresh and clean too.

Recipe 2:
1 container of name-brand fabric softner
4 inexpensive sponges, cut in half

Pour a whole container of softener into a five-gallon bucket. Fill empty softener container with water twice (two parts water to one part softener). Add sponges to softener/water mixture. When ready to use, wring out extra mixture from one sponge and add to the dryer as you would a dryer sheet.



Homemade Dishwasher Detergent

Powder:
1 cup baking soda
1 cup borax

Use 2 tablespoons per load


Liquid:
1 part baking soda
1 part borax
1 part water
optional: 1 drop essential oil

Mix together. Use 2 to 3 tablespoons per load.


Options:
- Use less borax
- Use vinegar in rinse dispenser
- Use clorox in with soap
- Use 1/2 of store bought dishwasher soap and 1 tablespoon of homemade detergent

2 comments:

Tiffany said...

Looks awesome -- thanks for sharing!

bcbaldwins said...

Wow! I didn't know you could make your own. Good job! You are special. We love you.

Mom & Dad